Monday, April 13, 2009

Thing #22: Staying Current aka "Kowabunga, Dude!"


Like riding the surf, this has been an ever-changing tide of emotions. Some elated because of newly discovered toys and tools, and some that sinking, sort-of "oh-crap" feeling when the technology just plain failed me. Lots failed me, or I found incredibly redundant. I may have scared off a few people with my "Adult Content Warning" but, hey-- I've seen worse things on our public internet stations!

That's not to say I haven't learned a lot here-- I have.
Looking back to the very beginning of my 23 Things blog, I can only quote myself again:

"I am personally not afraid of the technology, I am just unhappy that more often than it should it does not work to full capacity. We get the same complaints from our patrons, OFTEN!"

I have embraced the technology, I just don't think it embraces back!

Until I find the Web 2.0 products that actually have some staying power, I'm definitely not in any hurry to keep jumping on the next great bandwagon. Never was, never will. Neither do I want to sign up for more spam e-mail, worms and viruses. Can you say "Conficker" or "twitter-worm?" Definitely job security for our Automated Services folks!

The odds of me keeping up with this blog are slim to none, but the reality of me learning about and using new technologies is always a definite maybe! I learn something new everyday on this job. You HAVE to. It's a given. In fact, I was just emailing a soon-to-be library school graduate that when I was in school there was no internet yet. No online catalog, no databases, no downloadable anything. This job is "beta forever!" In order to function at all I have to keep learning...
In contrast, his degree was entirely online. Who do you think has had to learn more?

I only hope that NEFLIN keeps its promise by keeping the 23 Things website intact and all the attached bloggers blogs up, because realistically there was no way to go through everything that was listed. I would like to be able to refer back to some of the lessons and read some other writings at my own pace instead of based on a deadline. Looking back now, I can use some of the tools I learned about and I'm thankful that the creativity of others actually made this somewhat fun! There are some really talented writers out there. Maybe they will continue blogging? For me, I've got patrons to wait on!

Oh noooo, here comes another wave...
ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more

No comments:

Post a Comment